Monday, May 15, 2006

Friends are friends forever...

Michael W. Smith: The Second Decade - CD Cover *LISTENING TO:*
Song: Friends
Artist: Michael W. Smith
Album: The Second Decade
Quote: "...and friends are friends forever if the Lord's the Lord of them... and a friend will not say "never" 'cause the welcome will not end. Though it's hard to let you go, in the Father's hands we know that a lifetime's not too long to live as friends..."
* * *

And so ends a long couple of weeks...

The Celebration worship team got together a lot so that we could record a CD as a farewell gift to Ashley & Percy, the two unofficial leaders and founders of Celebration Church. This meant late nights and extra time spent in mixing and recording on my part in my "ghetto studio"... which I didn't mind at all since I wanted to give A&P the best possible, but twas definitely time-consuming, heheh. Photo shoot and design for the album cover/back was fun too, in appropriate "ghetto" fashion. Who needs a pro photographer when you've got stabilizer rocks? Heheh. I dunno, I guess I enjoy turning ideas and visions into reality. All the endless recording sessions culminated in a hot pot dinner we threw for them on Wednesday, where we presented to them the gift. I think it turned out well and they definitely appreciated it, which made me glad.



Friday, left for Celebration's Spring Retreat at a big house in Kempville. I vowed and prayed before I left that I'd be focused on God and on nothing else this weekend that would distract me... and I tried my best to uphold that, attempting to find quiet spots with my guitar where I could just meditate, pray, sing, worship, and just connect with God. With how I'm usually busy with something or anything on Sunday evenings services, I enjoy retreats such as these for the opportunities to get to know Celebration church members a bit better. I think I was able to do that a bit, and also got to talk to the new pastor, Jason, a bit. I think we hit it off with a little jamming on Shane & Shane music... hope it's a start. Sleeping on hardwood floors wasn't so pleasant, however, as I woke up a few times... was lying awake at like 6am debating going outside with my guitar for some personal sunrise worship by the stream... or even trying to find a quiet spot again... but it was still a little damp outside and I didn't want to disturb anyone so I decided to just go back to bed. Jason's Saturday morning talks on leadership this retreat had some relevance in my life for sure, and, strangely enough, touched on several of the questions I blogged about and that have been on my mind lately... As Jason stated, I guess I may just be in a state of "spiritual pruning", where God is breaking me down only so I can be stronger in my faith. He also spoke of how good leaders are also willing servants, using Jesus as an example, willing to wash the feet of his disciples, even Judas. So I guess, in the end, when Jesus paid the ultimate sacrifice for me with the biggest selfless act ever, why shouldn't I continue to take joy in serving others, especially if my goal is to be more like Him?

Saturday night, after a brief nap, went to Joel's for a steak & poker night. My goodness, I have never seen so much meat in one place in my life... heheh... got huge steaks from Farm Boy and grilled 'em up on the bbq. Oh...was...it...good. Heheh. Poker afterwards was fun too, staged a major comeback to get to the winner's table, only to then, appropriately, get cleaned out by Percy in his final poker night with the guys. Heheh.



Sunday marked Ashley & Percy's final service at Celebration. I haven't known them long since I've only been to Celebration for about half a year, but I could tell, as they shared, they've had a significant impact on the church these past 4 years. As a worship leader, I will especially miss the two of 'em, always eager to worship from the front row. Ashley's enthusiasm and energy are infectious and her conviction in her faith in Christ over what the world says has, I can tell, positively affected many people at Celebration. Again, although I haven't known either one of 'em that long, in Percy, I saw a person I looked up to... I've said to myself many times, "if ever there was an example of a young man after God's own heart and living 100% for the Lord, it'd be this guy"... I have yet to meet a young man more sincere, down-to-earth, and "real" than him. I'll miss him for sure. As they shared about what Celebration Church has meant to them over the years, I listened as they described the type of church I wanted to be a part of. It is truly a church about the people and about being focused on God. After painfully pondering the thought of leaving Celebration (even during one of my meditation times during the retreat) in order to preserve its unity (as Ashley said during the retreat), I knew that despite the inner conflicts I had, I had to continue to run the race for the ministry and for the church as a body. If ever there was a place I wanted to pour my heart into ministry and worship leading, this was the place. Celebration Church won't be the same without Ashley & Percy... but the one unchanging factor remains, God is there... and if the church stays Christ-centered as it has been for 4 years since its birth, I have no doubt in my mind that the church will continue to be blessed and will continue to flourish.

To Ashley & Percy, thanks for all you've done, your encouragement, and your inspiration. May God bless you as you enter a new chapter in your lives and in your ministry. We will not forget you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

really nice cd covers. you guys and gals did a really nice job *thumbs up*

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home